Nobody's Fool

"Every teacher dislikes some pupils-the cheeky lipsticked adolescent girls, the sullen, hangdog youths, the cocky vulgar little comedians, how loathsome they can be, all the more so because they do it deliberately." -Gilbert Highet (American Educator, Author, and Social Critic)

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Benjamin and Sherry's West Coast Odyssey Diary: Part 3

Sorry guys! I got real lazy! On to part 3...

Day Four (Friday, June 16th)

Ben and I stayed in a Quality Suites for the night in Klamath Falls, OR, and started the day off with a nice continental breakfast. Thinking that there were falls in Klamath Falls, we went on a wild goose chase looking for an actual waterfall... well, maybe the waterfall went on vacation because there were no "Falls" to be found. After feeling like idiots, Ben and I made our way to California.

One of the first spectacular views we had of California was Mount Shasta, which was way better than Mount Hood.


We took a tour in the Lake Shasta Caverns. It was HOT there in Northern California, and it kind of sucked on the way to the caverns because we had to take a boat, then bus to get there.


But once we got inside the caves, it was a comfortable 70 degrees. I feel bad for saying this, but our twenty-year-old tour guide...... kind of sucked. It was her third tour of the day (she had to keep reminding us of this), and she was less than well-versed. It was just Ben, me and two French Americans who could barely understand our awkward tour guide. She kept saying, "Pretty neat, huh?" and "Any questions?" followed by awkward silence. The caves were pretty cool though.

I think bears were a theme on this trip. This is Ben and I getting a bear hug from a dead rotting carcass while waiting for the bus.

We stopped at Sacramento, just to say that we were there. It was here that I saw my first palm tree. I was all excited as I observed the streets that were just lined with palm trees. Ben later informed me that all of these palm trees were half-dead, and then I was a little disappointed.

It was about six in the evening, and we were both dying of starvation, when we found a Subway not far from where we parked near the capitol building! Craving veggie subs, Ben and I went barging into the store, only to be informed that they were closed- two women were yelling at us, "We're Closed, We're Closed!" (then lock the damn door you stupid ladies.. geez!). After stepping disappointedly out of the Subway, we realized how absurd it was that a Subway would close at 6pm on a Friday night. Can anyone explain this phenomenon to me?

Our San Francisco adventure is coming up next- including my first steps into the ocean, my discouragement with the ocean, and running through the streets of San Francisco.

6 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home