Nobody's Fool

"Every teacher dislikes some pupils-the cheeky lipsticked adolescent girls, the sullen, hangdog youths, the cocky vulgar little comedians, how loathsome they can be, all the more so because they do it deliberately." -Gilbert Highet (American Educator, Author, and Social Critic)

Friday, July 27, 2007

I'm Pissed Off and Irritable...Again


Here's why...

I sort mail as a part of my boring job- in the morning and in the afternoon. I find the morning mail awaiting at my desk to be sorted when I arrive at 8:00 a.m. The afternoon mail, however, is taken out of the mail box by our swingperson (we'll call him J) and given to my supervisor, who later gives it to me. Mind you that J walks right past my desk to get to my supervisor's office.

So... are you asking yourself why J doesn't just drop it off at my desk since I am going to sort and deliver it anyway? So am I!

Today, my supervisor was out for the afternoon, and therefore, was not there when J went to drop the mail off to her. He came to my desk to start a conversation about what he had planned to do with the mail, saying "I bet I could just hand it out." I replied, "Well, you could give the mail to me since I sort it anyway." At this point, you would expect him to give me the mail- but he didn't. He argued with me a good five minutes before saying, "I guess you're not sorting the mail today," and locked it away in my supervisor's office.

Naturallly I was offended and thought to myself, "He knows that I am an elementary school teacher; why wouldn't he trust me? Why would he think that I would lie to him about sorting the mail?" I came up with this answer at Subway...

He just wanted to make me feel that he has authority over me. Knowing that I have a bachelor's degree and a good full-time job in the fall, he has to make me feel inferior somehow. I have seen it before when I waitressed and the dishwasher would scream at me for putting something in the wrong spot in his dishwashing area, even though I had no idea what sort of system the dishwashers have, and he could've moved it himself.

I'm frustrated because I do treat everyone at my workplace the same- no matter how much they get paid or how much authority I have over them. I tell ya...some people!!

Vent with me in the comments section.

6 Comments:

  • At July 27, 2007 11:39 AM, Blogger Sherry said…

    Stupid pictures! I can never get them in the right place! I adjusted that picture of the crab like ten times, and it ended up in the same place everytime!

     
  • At July 27, 2007 12:09 PM, Blogger The CDP. said…

    You know what you're doing, that's all that matters.

    Screw 'em.

     
  • At July 27, 2007 12:55 PM, Blogger Sherry said…

    I just hope that my supervisor tells J that he was supposed to give the mail to me. I just want him to feel like an ass!

     
  • At July 30, 2007 9:35 AM, Blogger Celia said…

    I'm sure he already feels like an ass. He's like 80 and is the swingperson at the Pepsi Distribution Company :)

     
  • At July 31, 2007 10:01 AM, Blogger The CDP. said…

    Yeah. You've really got to start picking your battles. (smiley)

     
  • At August 01, 2007 8:00 PM, Blogger Sherry said…

    I decided not to fight this battle. Believe me; I could've dragged his ass to accounting and asked the accounts payable clerk if I sorted mail. She would've given him a look and reaction for which I would pay millions. But... I didn't!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home