Nobody's Fool

"Every teacher dislikes some pupils-the cheeky lipsticked adolescent girls, the sullen, hangdog youths, the cocky vulgar little comedians, how loathsome they can be, all the more so because they do it deliberately." -Gilbert Highet (American Educator, Author, and Social Critic)

Monday, August 06, 2007

Ugghhhh...


I feel depressed today, and I haven't felt this way in a long time.

I have been reading "The First Days of School"- a how-to book for teaching. I am on the Classroom Management unit, and I realize that I haven't been doing a very good job managing my classroom. I blamed the students' ill-manners on the teacher who had abandoned them a couple of months before I arrived at Greenland Elementary. BUT, now I see that I didn't do everything right. I won't go into details...

I know that I shouldn't feel like I need to be the world's greatest teacher right now- only eight months out of college, but I do. I guess it's part of the perfectionist's way of thinking. It doesn't matter what I do; I have to be the best flute player, receptionist, student, wife, friend. The list goes on and on. I'm starting to think I therapy again...

I don't mean to scare anybody; I just wanted to share. Anyone share these sentiments?

6 Comments:

  • At August 07, 2007 7:59 AM, Blogger The CDP. said…

    Logically, you'll never be the best at anything (it's such a rarity in life that it's barely worth mentioning), but you should strive for perfection in a positive and non-destructive manner.

    Play to your strengths. Do what feels right. Teaching is hard; you don't need to speed up the burnout process anymore than it already is.

    I'll never be the best writer, husband or drummer, ever. But that doesn't stop me from loving it and doing what I can to get better and enjoy the time spent. It's all you can ask for, or else you're just begging to be pissy.

     
  • At August 07, 2007 8:58 AM, Blogger Sherry said…

    Thank you, Ryan. That was like a therapy session! I will think more about my strengths in teaching, which is easier said than does for me!

     
  • At August 07, 2007 9:02 AM, Blogger Sherry said…

    Oops, easier said than DONE for me...

     
  • At August 07, 2007 9:43 AM, Blogger The CDP. said…

    'Atta girl.

     
  • At August 08, 2007 2:03 PM, Blogger Celia said…

    Yep, I feel that way often. Hence why I've had my med dosage upped. haha.

     
  • At August 09, 2007 6:36 AM, Blogger Sherry said…

    'Atta girl.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home